Re: epiphany-browser and iceweasel do not start

Am Samstag, 12. Mai 2007 13:04 schrieb Mike Hommey:
> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 12:27:46PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch@web.de>
> wrote: (...)
>
> > When I copy the xulrunner directory additionally
> > to /mnt/hda1/usr/share/xulrunner epiphany-browser comes up and runs.
> >
> > I am even more surprised about that than about the not working relative
> > link. I am missing something here.... Any hints are welcome.
>
> It's actually pretty simple:
> There are several links from /usr/lib/xulrunner to /usr/share/xulrunner,
> and they are relative. So /usr/lib/xulrunner/res points to
> ../../share/xulrunner/res.

ok, I see.

> What happens is that the relative link works from the location of the
> link. So, since /usr/lib/xulrunner/res is actually
> /mnt/hda7/usr/lib/xulrunner/res, from there, ../../share/xulrunner/res
> is /mnt/hda7/usr/share/xulrunner/res.

I am quite surprise about that (even somewhat disappointed). At least that
requires thinking carefully if you are in a linked directory (somewhere in
your path) when doing a link.

> If it works in the shell, it's probably because of some corner cases. if
> you just ls /usr/lib/xulrunner/res/ it should not work.

You are right yes. I was thinking that the shell knows the current path, e.g.

rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup$ mkdir a
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup$ cd a
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup/a$ mkdir b
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup/a$ cd ..
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup$ touch test.file
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup$ ln -s a/b c
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup$ cd c
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup/c$ ls ../test.file
ls: ../test.file: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup/c$ ls ../../test.file
../../test.file

If the shell would not be aware of the current path (symlinked), it could not
do that correctly.

rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup/c$ cd ..
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup$ ls test.file
test.file
rd@silverboxy:~/tmp.nobackup$

...well at least I learnt something here for me: use symlinks with care in
future.

I am going to move my complete /usr to /mnt/hda1 and the mount it directly
as /usr. That should make things working again.

Do you think it is worthwile to open a bug / wishlist report (where?) that
epiphany dies not with a segfault, if a file is not there?

That was great support. Thank you very much.

Thanks,
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch