Re: Slow DNS Lookups on Debian Etch AMD 64

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:41:59AM -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:
> I'm getting terrible DNS lookup performance on my Debian Etch system.
> I've installed the "Etch" - Official Beta amd64 version.
>
> After installing, I noticed that the Internet browsers were taking a
> really long time to pull up a web page.  I also observed that the
> browser delays seemed to be DNS related as they were spending a lot of
> time "Looking up whatever.com...".
>
> I turned off IPv6 and it made no observable difference.

How?

> It seems that a DNS lookup is taking 10s on average.  Here is the dig
> output for one such lookup:
>
> debian:/# time dig 192.168.0.1 www.yahoo.com
> ;; Got answer:
[snip]
> ;; Query time: 10 msec
> ;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
> ;; WHEN: Thu May 10 09:39:21 2007
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 104
>

> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> 192.168.0.1 www.yahoo.com
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
[snip]
> ;; Query time: 10 msec
> ;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
> ;; WHEN: Thu May 10 09:39:26 2007
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 368
>

> real    0m10.031s
> user    0m0.000s
> sys     0m0.000s

Weird - the elapsed time for the DNS queries are reported as 10 msec
each, yet they are 5 seconds apart?

> This very same machine also has Windows Vista Ultimate 64 installed on
> it and DNS lookups are lightning fast.  There is definitely something
> going on with Debian Etch or perhaps the network configuration.

Does the other OS use the same DNS server(s)?

The contents of /etc/resolv.conf might provide clues - especially if
compared to the Windows equivalent (of which I know nothing...)

> I am using the ndiswrapper around a Windows driver for my Broadcom
> wireless network adapter.

Shouldn't matter, assuming that you don't have any other network
problems...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/