epiphany-browser and iceweasel do not start

Hello,

on one of my Debian systems I have a strange problem with the iceweasel and
epiphany-browser web browsers. I saw no other issues on the system, konqueror
works, I can compile kernel modules, i.e. I do not think that it is a general
stability issue.

Unfortunately, both apps don't give a lot of debug information. iceweasel
simply does not start, no error message is printed. When started from the cmd
line, iceweasel comes back after a while

rd@topsi:/mnt/hda1/home/rd$ time iceweasel

real    0m14.191s
user    0m0.776s
sys     0m0.308s
rd@topsi:/mnt/hda1/home/rd$

epiphany-browser comes up, but then it most likely crashes during rendering of
the starting page www.debian.org. I run strace with epiphany, but did not
notice a problem. For reference this output is at

http://www.alzental-castle.de/~rd/epiphany-browser-new.strace

Not sure what iceweasel and epiphany-browser broke, but any hints what to
check are very welcome.

Thanks,
Rainer