Re: [OT] The record industry, RIAA and US law

Joe Hart wrote:

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2007 16:14:44 -0400
Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> wrote:
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
The whole mission is a textbook example of how it probably is
impossible to bring about democracy, peace and freedom by
application of force.
Impossible? Where were Germany and Japan before and after WWII?
Before: A lot more populous.
After: In ruins.

Seriously, though...are you advocating dropping nuclear bombs on
people in order to force them to be "free"? 'Cause if I recall
that's how we got Japan to lay down arms...
First, I was simply providing a counter example to Johannes'
aforementioned assertion, but not necessarily advocating anything.
Second, what about Germany? Third, WRT Japan I suppose we had three
choices: a) the Bomb b) continued conventional war c) negotiated
peace / truce / ceasefire. It's easy to argue for a over b
(minimization of the total loss of life, including total loss of enemy
life), although I know that one can argue the contrary also. WRT option
c, do you think that was a historically realistic possibility? [It's
not a rhetorical question; my knowledge of the period isn't that
strong.]
You forget about the second bomb. It was dropped before the Japanese
government had a chance to figure out what had happened in Hiroshima and
before they had a chance to surrender in face of the first bomb.

(The second bomb was dropped 3 days after the first. In the confusion
and destruction caused by the first bombing it took days for the
Japanese government to figure out what had happened in Hiroshima. No
internet, no telephone, etc.)

No matter what justification one might have for dropping the first bomb,
I guess at least the second bomb was both military and morally 'useless'.

Johannes

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

My understanding of the period leads me to believe that the second bomb
was dropped as to prove to the Japanese that the first bomb was not a
fluke and the same type of bomb could be repeatedly dropped until they
surrendered.  While I agree that it came a bit too soon after the first
bomb, and some diplomatic efforts should have been attempted after the
first, lines of communication were poor then, and how many more Allied
lives would have been lost if the fighting continued?

The number of American lives were the only things that the US considered
worthwhile at the time.

Joe
That was publicly. The estimates of US casualties, IIRC, were 500.000 at a minimum. There were people who were concerned with the number of Japanese casualties, although it wasn't widely publicized, it was believed that the pacification and conquest of Japan would result in the effective annihilation of the Japanese race. Not something
that anybody wanted to be remembered for!