Re: Japanese fonts in gnome-terminal

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:06:34PM +0200, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 13:44 -0400, Victor Munoz wrote:
> > On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 12:42:47PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > > You might also want to submit a bug against gnome-terminal for this.
>
> I would be very surprised if this was an actual bug in gnome-terminal.
>
> > All this is very strange of course, as I had this working in sarge,
> > and I recently tried successfully in Ubuntu, and I never needed
> > anything else but some fonts, locales, and the usual
> > mutt/jed/gnome-terminal. But if there's any other suggestion as to how
> > to make this work in *any* terminal I would be more than grateful :-)
>
> I would suggest you separate the two issues, Mutt and Jed, and try to
> get each one to work.
>
> Isolate a sample mail, or mbox and see what encoding is used, if it has
> an encoding set in the mail, if it matches and so on. A lot of mail is
> badly mangled, when I used Mutt I had to play around with charset and
> assumed_charset to get some non-usascii characters to show up.

You may be onto something. I had a similar (but smaller) problem with a
Danish-speaking yahoo mailing list: A lot of the emails said they had
US-ASCII encoding, but they *really* were iso-8859-1 (yahoo email is
...bad...).  End result: The Danish letters 'æøå' and their uppercase
equivalents 'ÆØÅ' showed up as question marks (I hope they display OK in
this mail!)

Since iso8859 is a superset of ascii (I think), adding "charset-hook
US-ASCII iso-8859-1" to my .muttrc solved the problem for me.

Perhaps the same solution will work for you?

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/