Japanese fonts in gnome-terminal

Hello. I had this working in sarge, but somehow things have changed in
etch, and I can't see Japanese fonts in gnome-terminal. Currently I
have installed packages like cjk-latex, hbf-kanji48, ttf-kochi-mincho,
among the japanese-related packages I can remember. In gnome-terminal,
going to Terminal->Set Character Encoding->Japanese (EUC-JP) does not
work. I have also tried with the current locale (ISO-8859-1), Unicode
(UTF-8) and Japanese (SHIFT-JIS). I have generated the locale
ja_JP.EUC-JP.  I also tried adding xfonts-intl-japanese, but it didn't
work.

Sure I'm missing something, but I don't know. Any ideas?

Regards,

Victor