Re: Japanese fonts in gnome-terminal

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 13:44 -0400, Victor Munoz wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 12:42:47PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > You might also want to submit a bug against gnome-terminal for this.

I would be very surprised if this was an actual bug in gnome-terminal.

> All this is very strange of course, as I had this working in sarge,
> and I recently tried successfully in Ubuntu, and I never needed
> anything else but some fonts, locales, and the usual
> mutt/jed/gnome-terminal. But if there's any other suggestion as to how
> to make this work in *any* terminal I would be more than grateful :-)

I would suggest you separate the two issues, Mutt and Jed, and try to
get each one to work.

Isolate a sample mail, or mbox and see what encoding is used, if it has
an encoding set in the mail, if it matches and so on. A lot of mail is
badly mangled, when I used Mutt I had to play around with charset and
assumed_charset to get some non-usascii characters to show up.

Similar for jed, see if you can view, edit and write Japanese in normal
UTF-8 files before you set it up for Mutt and those mails.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson