Re: Japanese fonts in gnome-terminal

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 09:56 -0400, Victor Munoz wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 04:34:38PM +0200, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> >
> > From the description you gave above, it sounds like you should have
> > everything needed to at least display Japanese, so what exactly goes
> > wrong? Can you for example copy text from the Japanese Wikipedia to
> > gnome-terminal?
>
> Well, your question made me investigate a bit more, and I discovered
> that I am indeed able to see Japanese text... sometimes at least.
>
> I copied text from Japanese Wikipedia, and it is copied correctly into
> gnome-terminal. I can 'cat' emails in Japanese and I see them. I
> alternate between locales ISO-8859-1 and EUC-JP, without problem. What I
> *cannot* do is read these emails in mutt/jed (I use jed as the editor
> for mutt).  I see things like:
>
> ^[$B3'MM$+$i$NB??t$N%;%C%7%g%sDs0F$r$*BT$A$$$?$7$F$*$j$^$9!#^[(J
>
> Reading the email as a usual file with jed also fails. I would say the
> problem is jed. Except that when I read the folder list with mutt
> subjects also come out wrong; or when I simply read the mail, and I
> understand jed is not involved here.
>
> So any ideas on how to fix mutt/jed? My problem seems to be
> specifically to read mails in Japanese with mutt. I could change the
> editor to xemacs, but 1) I'd prefer to stay with jed because it's
> faster; 2) problems with reading mail and subject list would not be
> solved by changing the editor.

You might want to change to an rxvt that does unicode or kxvt. It
appears that mutt/jed are having a tough time picking up the right
encoding from gnome-terminal. Some old hacks (from 2004) on the
jed-users mailing list show this for jed, fixing russian input and
reading issues.

Sheesh:
http://www.tlug.jp/craigoda/writings/linux-nihongo/node42.html

Long time for this problem to persist. Looks like a kanji enabled rxvt
is the ticket.

You might also want to submit a bug against gnome-terminal for this.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05