Re: [OT] The record industry, RIAA and US law

Celejar wrote:
[snip]

> What I meant is that I think it's obvious that foreign policy (and, I
> suspect, envy) is the real reason, not the type of legislation being
> discussed. [I happen to largely agree with the foreign policy (although
> not necessarily the implementation, and certainly not the PR / spin.)]

I don't think envy plays much of a part.  Perhaps it used to, but thing
like Katrina opened up the world's eyes to see how many real Americans
live and not just the ones that the media lets them see.  One of the
things that was shocking to most foreigners I believe was not so much
what happened during the crisis, but that they saw that a large number
of people live in poverty.

>> Oh yes, that is why I point out the future United States of Europe.
>> Believe me, I don't agree with many thing the EU does.
>
> But it isn't just the future; when has modern Europe been less
> regulation happy than the US?

Well, were I live we have more freedom than those in the US.  At least
in some ways.  Granted, the EU wants The Netherlands to drop some of the
freedoms that we enjoy, and in time perhaps the Dutch government will
succumb to the pressure, but for now, they are steadfast.

> I'm all for hope; I hope that the *Republicans* see the light,
> correct their errors and remain in power (I'm not such a Rep. partisan,
> but I like them, on the whole, more than the Dems.)

I used to be Republican, until I saw some of the things that they passed
 post 9/11.  Many of those laws are quite fascist, and they strip many
of the freedoms that are given in the Constitution.  Perhaps when a good
court gets appointed, the laws will be deemed unconstitutional.  Only
time will tell.  In the meantime it is becoming McCarthyism all over
again, on a worse scale.  Accuse your neighbor of being a terrorist and
watch what happens to him.

> What sort of (practical and realistic) changes would you recommend?

I would say, restore more powers to the states and decentralize the
government.  Over the past 100 years, the Federal government has taken
too much control.  Now, if one doesn't like the laws in one state, they
will find that moving to another state will not change a lot.  Now one
must leave the country.  Although some states have different laws than
others, by and large, (mainly due to Federal pressure) they all are the
same.  Some people think this is good.  I do not.

Joe
- --