Re: etch help

> part 2
> cat /etch/apt/sourses.lists
> #deb cdrom:[debian gnu/linux 4.0 r0_etch-official i386 cd binary-1
> 20070407-11:35/ etch contrib main # same as above
> #line commented out by installer because it failed to verify::
> #deb http:// security.debian.org...
> #line commented out...
> #deb-src http//:/security...
> nothing else

Interesting.  When I enter the command "cat /etch/apt/sourses.lists" I
get the following:

mark@debian:~$ cat /etch/apt/sourses.list
cat: /etch/apt/sourses.list: No such file or directory

Anyway, I'm assuming you made a typo, and meant
"cat /etc/apt/sources.list".

It appears that you have all the sources commented out (which is what
the number [#] before the sources indicates.  So, you simply need
to enable your sources, and then you'll be able to install any
program at the mere click of a mouse.

So, try the following:

Open the root terminal (Applications, Accessories, Root Terminal).
Enter the following:

gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

A text editor will open the sources.list file.  Cut and paste the
following into it:

# the main Debian packages.
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

# multimedia
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

# security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

Okay, now save this file, and close gedit (the text editor).

(Note, if gedit does not work, then instead use nano (an editor for the
terminal)  To do this, do the same as above, except instead of
"gedit /etc/apt/sources.list" it would be
"nano /etc/apt/sources.list".  Type in the sources, and press Ctrl-X to
save and exit.)

Now, you can either use Synaptic, where you'll press "Reload", then
"Mark All Upgrades", then "Apply", or, you can use the command line
equivalent, which is called "apt" (I think it's an acronym for
"advanced package technology", or something).

To use apt, in the Root Terminal, enter:

apt-get update

Then, enter:

apt-get dist-upgrade

You may get some warnings when you do this the first time (stuff about
untrusted packages)  Don't sweat these. Just correct this, by
installing the debian-archive-keyring package, and the
debian-multimedia-keyring package (use Synaptic)

Good luck.

Mark

PS, It's best to send messages to the Debian Mailing list in text only,
rather than both text and html.