Re: etch help

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 12:27:32PM +0000, bobsetch@comcast.net wrote:

> Back again,
> synaptic package manager
> search openoffice
> openoffice.org-common
> openoffice.org-core
> select
> mark for installation
> could not mark all for installation or update
> the following packages have unresolved dependencies. make sure all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences

alright, that means the package manager appears to be functioning
correctly.

> part 2
> cat /etch/apt/sourses.lists
> #deb cdrom:[debian gnu/linux 4.0 r0_etch-official i386 cd binary-1 20070407-11:35/ etch contrib main
> # same as above
> #line commented out by installer because it failed to verify::
> #deb http:// security.debian.org...
> #line commented out...
> #deb-src http//:/security...
> nothing else

are all the lines actually commented out like that? (the # indicates a
comment and not actual configuration code)

if so, then that's your problem. The file /etc/apt/sources.list
includes the directives that tell the package manager where to find
the packages for download. YOu generally have two choices for sources
for packages: 1) the installation cd's or 2) one of the many internet
mirrors of the debian repositories.

Decide what you want to do here as a choice for repositories: either
the cd's you already have or the network (preferred as it keep syou
fully up to date, but it can soak up some bandwidth, so if you don't
have a high speed connection, you might start with the cd's)

For cd's:

1. open synaptic: Desktop -> Administration -> Synaptic Package
   Manager
2. select Settings -> Repositories

3. under the Installation Media tab, click on Add CD-Rom and follow
the instructions (I've not done this process, so you're on your own
here. What I think should happen is it will prompt you to insert a cd,
crunch for a while and then say okay.) You'll want to add the first 4
or 5 of your cd's. You likely don't need them all, although you are
welcome to add them all if you want.

4. When you arwe done with 3, click "Close" to get back to the main
   Synaptic window. You should now be able to install packages and the
   package manager will prompt you to insert the appropriate cd's. Be
   sure to mark the cd's so you know which is which.

For network:

Follow setps 1 & 2 above and then

3. under the installation media tab click on "+ Add"

4. Select a channel from the drop down box. Mine still says "Sarge"
for the stable channel. Hopefully yours will say "Etch" for stable and
not "Etch for testing, but regardless, just pick the first one.

5. Check all three "Components" boxes and then click "+ Add". Click
close on the previous window.

6. You should now click "Reload" in the main window and when its done
you will be able to install any package in the entire repository.

Let us know how it goes.