Re: [OT] Good, evil and religion [WAS] Re: A way to compile 3rd party modules into deb system?

On 05/09/07 10:47, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 08:54:57AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> I don't remember seeing that.  Cite?
>>
>> $ bible
>> bible: Debian/BRS Release 4.18, $Date: 2005/01/23 11:29:22 $
>> Hit '?' for help.
>>
>> Genesis 1
>>
>>   1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
>> bible(KJV) [Gen1:1]> 1king7:23
>>
>> 1 Kings 7
>>
>>   23 And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the
>> other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a
>> line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.
>>

> Well, since we are getting all scientific, the ratio of the diameter of
> a circle to its circumference is in fact 3, if all you have is one
> significant digit, which it appears is all we have from the text.  Now,
> if it said "ten point zero zero cubits" and "five point zero zero
> cubits" and "thirty point zero zero cubits" then there might be a point
> in there.

Shame on you, Roberto.  You're too smart to succumb to that sort of
reasoning in any context other than Biblical Inerrancy.

BTW, the ancient Greeks used the ratio 22/7.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA