Re: [OT] Good, evil and religion [WAS] Re: A way to compile 3rd party modules into deb system?

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 02:39:59PM -0500, Anson Gardner wrote:

> Good idea as far as it goes. I think that like many other things, the choice
> (literal, metaphorical) is not really binary. My thoughts on that are that
> you have to decide what is meant literally / figuratively based on the
> context. Not just the previous or following verse or chapter, but other items
> as well, such as who the intended audience is, and the culture at that time.

Right.  For example, sometimes the Bible makes a comparison or uses the
phrase "like as" or "like unto".  Those are metaphors/similes/whatever.
In nearly every case it is easy to identify the parts that should be
taken literally and the parts that should be taken metaphorically.

> On the other hand, I'd like to say that, in all my years online, this is the
> nicest back and forth about religion that I have ever seen. Maybe it is
> because it didn't occur on slashdot.

:-)

Regards,

-Roberto