Re: [OT] Good, evil and religion

Amy Templeton wrote:
Wackojacko <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com> wrote:
Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
Well, since we are getting all scientific, the ratio of the diameter of
a circle to its circumference is in fact 3, if all you have is one
significant digit, which it appears is all we have from the text.  Now,
if it said "ten point zero zero cubits" and "five point zero zero
cubits" and "thirty point zero zero cubits" then there might be a point
in there.

Regards,

-Roberto

Ah but is it.  30 could be 2 significant digits, in that case it is
incorrect as it should be 31 :)

Actually, this is not the case. It would only be two significant
digits if it were written with a three followed by a 0 with a bar
over it; the bar indicates that it really is *exactly* thirty, not
just rounding from 28 or 31 or something. So no, as written it is
not two significant digits.

My point was the original reference stated 'thirty' so who knows how many significant figures this is when written in words.

Also what you have written is a contradiction. Either the bar means it is exactly 30 or it means it is 30 to 2 significant figures, in which case it might be 30.4, not the same. But I know what you meant.

Wackojacko