Re: Affecting Institutional Change (Yeah Right)

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/08/07 23:17, Amy Templeton wrote:
> > Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>
> >
> > I appreciate the suggestion, but I'd rather not pull status on this
> > one, you know? That is a card to be saved up and used in an
> > emergency to which it has direct bearing, or else it loses all
> > meaning and becomes trite. Thanks, though.

> There are those of us who believe that claims of discrimination
> became trite many years ago.

I'm inclined to disagree; it is more subtle now, but it still
exists. Do some reading on the concepts of privilege and
intersectionality and if you don't buy it, we can talk more then
(or if you do, either way).

> > Hahaha...some of them assume I'm a "wizard" since I use GNU/Linux.
> > This is not the case. And let me put it this way:  a friend of mine
> > went through one of their classes on Python and came out with no
> > idea that he'd been editing text files, no idea that Python could
> > be run from a shell, no idea what an executable was, and, in fact,
> > not even knowing what a shell was (even though it was apparently

> Tell us again why you go to such a school?

Because I am not a computer science major (which is perhaps why my
arguments are ignored), and in pretty much every domain other than
computers and cost (thank goodness for scholarships and such) it
gets top marks in my books.

> (But then, until I go senile I'll remember the girl who got "A"s
> on all her Comp Sci tests, but didn't know what this mizz-dos
> thing was on her floppy disks, and why it was necessary. And I
> thought that the 6Mhz IBM PC-AT chomped thru Turbo Pascal at a
> stunningly amazing speed.)

I mean...what *is* the point of MS-DOS, or MS in general? I never
could figure that out...

> > Anyway...done ranting. I don't really think this thread is
> > going anywhere, so sorry to waste everybody's time and inbox
> > space.

> That's what 250GB hard drives are for.

Okay.

Amy