Re: Affecting Institutional Change (Yeah Right)

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 11:40:17AM -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > There are those of us who believe that claims of discrimination
> > became trite many years ago.
>
> I'm inclined to disagree; it is more subtle now, but it still
> exists. Do some reading on the concepts of privilege and
> intersectionality and if you don't buy it, we can talk more then
> (or if you do, either way).

hear hear.

> > Tell us again why you go to such a school?
>
> Because I am not a computer science major (which is perhaps why my
> arguments are ignored), and in pretty much every domain other than
> computers and cost (thank goodness for scholarships and such) it
> gets top marks in my books.

So what is your major?  If its in conflict resolution perhaps you can
get extra credit for resolving this.

> I mean...what *is* the point of MS-DOS, or MS in general? I never
> could figure that out...

Study what makes the general public say "ooh" and "Ahh" (marketing) and
give them a product that does that without them having to know anything
about anything.  At the same time do stock swapping with the maker of
the hardware.  Get people additcted to ooh and ahh, leave enough
security holes (don't spend the money to make really good code, focus on
the ooh and ahh factor) and convince people that they need to install a
newer version every couple of years.  Give that newer version more ooh
and ahh factor and need more computer to give the same responsivness as
the previous version.  Eventually the existing computer will not be as
fast ("my computer isn't as fast as it used to be, I guess its wearing
out, time to buy a new one") to get people to buy new hardware from the
people 1) who own a lot of your stock; 2) whos stock you own a lot of.

In short, its not much different than the relationship between pimps and
drug pushers.  This makes your professors either low-level pimps and
pushers, or prostitutes.

Show your profs IBM's website.  Thousands of Redbooks and Redpapers free
for the downloading and all in pdf.

Doug.