Re: From "Etch" to Testing ("Lenny")

On Sunday 06 May 2007 18:28, Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2007 13:07:53 andy wrote:
> > Has anyone any experience yet in changing their sources.list from "etch"
> > (back) to "testing" (i.e. "Lenny")? If so, has it been a smooth
> > transition, any problems or gotchas?
> >
> > I suppose, more generally, when is a good time to switch if one wants an
> > up-to-date system, albeit not bleeding edge and unstable? Are there any
> > criteria for making such a decision, or is it really just the user's own
> > preferences?
>
> Sounds like you already switched, but here is a setup I use a lot of times
> that let's you run etch, but be able to selectively pull down packages from
> unstable/experimental by manually requesting them, but making sure they are
> pinned so that you don't automatically get wild system updates. You could
> replace unstable/experimental in this setup with testing to get a similar
> effect.
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free
>
> /etc/apt/preferences:
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 50
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 40

That's interesting. How does that work out it reality?

For example, I've just changed one of my 2 Etch installs back to
testing/lenny, and so far so good.

If I set up the pinning for unstable, and experimental, as you have above, and
say for example there are various versions of the same package available. One
for lenny, a newer one for unstable, and one that's in experimental.

How does this show up in synaptic? Would the 3 package versions show up on 3
separate lines? One for the lenny update, one for the unstable update, and
one for experimental.

Btw. Putting this Etch back on testing hasn't created any problems. There were
300+ packages to be updated (151MB) . I just got that in on my 9hr at a time
allowance on dialup.

Following morning the only errors I saw, and that was because I was updating
while booted in to the 2.6.11 kernel, were "could not start udev, needs
2.6.15 kernel", and a problem with initramfs "couldn't find initrd for 2.6.17
kernel". I've since rebooted with the 2.6.17 kernel, and it boots ok.

The reason I am using the 2.6.11 one is that udev seems to be inconsistant
with the ordering of devices in /dev/video on bootup.

Kernel 2.6.11 (no udev) sets my TV card as /dev/video0, and the webcam
as /dev/video1. Booting with the 2.6.17 kernel, and udev is hit and miss.
Sometimes the video devices are ordered as expected, othertimes the webcam
is /dev/video0, and the TV card /dev/video1. I've got a post from a mailing
list about this problem, and have to get around to fixing it, but it's
annoying when you click on Xawtv, expecting to watch TV, and get a webcam
image of yours truly.

Nigel.