Re: From "Etch" to Testing ("Lenny")

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 13:07:53 andy wrote:
> Has anyone any experience yet in changing their sources.list from "etch"
> (back) to "testing" (i.e. "Lenny")? If so, has it been a smooth
> transition, any problems or gotchas?
>
> I suppose, more generally, when is a good time to switch if one wants an
> up-to-date system, albeit not bleeding edge and unstable? Are there any
> criteria for making such a decision, or is it really just the user's own
> preferences?

Sounds like you already switched, but here is a setup I use a lot of times
that let's you run etch, but be able to selectively pull down packages from
unstable/experimental by manually requesting them, but making sure they are
pinned so that you don't automatically get wild system updates. You could
replace unstable/experimental in this setup with testing to get a similar
effect.

/etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free

/etc/apt/preferences:
Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50