Re: Help with setting up home network

On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 08:41:47PM -0400, Eric A. Bonney wrote:

> So before I start really getting to far into this, can I get sharing
> going on my home network with just samba or do I also need NFS?  I want
> to be able to read and write to my linux server from all machines (XP
> and Linux) and read and write files to my shared XP drives from my Linux
> units.  Looking at the Samba book seems great but is Samba all I need?

Samba and NFS are two different protocols for the same stuff and can be
used independently. If you need to access the server from XP then you
definitely need Samba and not NFS. Samba is MS's file sharing protocol
(SMB), but better implemented ;)

If you can read the shares on the server, but can't write to them this
can be easily fixed. You need to tinker with the /etc/samba/smb.conf on
the server. The file itself is well commented and also includes some
examples.

Otherwise you can find lots of docs in the samba-doc package.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)