Help with setting up home network

Can anyone point me to some docs that would help me configure my home network? I have one machine that is setup as a file/web/mail server and then I want to access it from my laptops and desktops. These machines are a mixture of XP and Debian machines. Currently I am most intrested in getting access to the server from the debian machines first. I have tried using Samba and NFS, but I am having difficulty getting write access to the drives. I can get read access to them and I can copy stuff from the drives, but I can not get write access to the drives from the laptops etc.

Thanks,
-Eric