Re: OT: Religion, Good and Evil (was Re: A way to compile 3rd party modules into deb system?)

On 5/6/07, Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 03:26:10PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/05/07 09:29, Joe Hart wrote:
> >
> > Exactly, but we consider human sacrifice today to be a bad thing.
>
> That's my exact point.  What we consider murder, they considered
> politics and religion.

Not quite so.  Abortion.  It is considered by many (a majority depending
on who you ask) to be squarely in the realm of politics and not murder.

Nice discussion, I guess it just depends on what you consider to be
normal. Think of visual signs in public traffic in my country an open
hand held directly against someone is generally considered to mean
"STOP". I somewhere read (that may not be reliable but imho very well
possible) that in some asian country that very sign means something
like "I'm gonna smear shit in your face". It may effectively be a bad
experience to use that sign in the wrong country :)

So where is good and where is evil, is it evil to help someone commit
suicide or is evil because society teaches us exactly that (being at
the topic: the question of course implies that where I live it is
generally a "bad" thing to do so, even prohibited by law, even self
murder is forbidden, but I've always wondered how they punish self
murderers)

--
Martin Marcher
martin.marcher@gmail.com