Re: A way to compile 3rd party modules into deb system?

On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:52:02 -0700
Kenward Vaughan <kay_jay@earthlink.net> wrote:

> With a brand new ATI board I have found that I need to go outside the
> latest kernel (2.6.21) to get the driver for the LAN chip (an RTL 8111).
> It is available, but not in anyone's package, of course.
>
> Is there a generic way that I can set it up under /usr/src/modules and
> have it compile as a deb package?  I like staying within the system,
> obviously, but would go outside it if this can't be done.

It certainly seems to be possible; install kernel-package and see
'/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.modules'. I'm not much of an
expert, so I can't judge how much work it would entail.

> Kenward
> --
> With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things
> and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
> things, that takes religion.  --Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven
> Weinberg

Even if true, there are different ways to interpret this:

a) religion increases the number of people who do evil things,
extending {E:E does evil things} and causing it to overlap with
{g:g is a good person}

b) religion increases the number of good people, extending {g:g is a
good person} and causing it to overlap with {E:E does evil things}

In any case, I think Weinberg's assertion is ridiculous; no 'good'
atheist has ever done evil? Perhaps he means 'for good people to do
evil in the name of good', but it's still patently false; no 'good'
atheist has ever done evil in the name of a (secular) humanist ideal?
If Weinberg means that a 'good' atheist who does evil is by definition
not good, then this is sophistry; the same can be said about believers.
Apparently scientists, even great ones, can be as ignorant and shallow
as anyone else outside of their areas of expertise.

Celejar