MATLAB: xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.

Since a recent upgrade to sid I've started getting this error whenever I try to
startup matlab. This seems to come from the java environment since disabling
java removes the error (but also the gui and the ability to open images).

I tried googling around and this comes up with relation to several programs and
seems to be linked to libxrandr or similar. Something with a bug in the lock
code. It's supposedly fixed in the git version of libxrandr but debian seems to
be using the latest version as far as I can tell.

Anyone knows what this is about, or more importantly, how to solve it?

Thanks