Re: Sid and Xorg

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:54:25PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> >>   No, doesn't work.Nothing changes.
> >
> > really?! how about ctrl-alt-backspace to exit X? does that work? and
> > confirm, this is the plus or minus key on the number keypad to the
> > right...
>
>    Yup, ctrl-alt-+ or -  does nothing - ctrl-alt-bs kills the
> server..weird eh?

indeed

> >>   On board Intel graphics  865G
> >
> > it looks like the xserver-xorg-video-i810 package is in
> > transition. review the available drivers and see if there is one
> > called 'intel' and try that maybe? the new package is called
> > xserver-xorg-video-intel.

> >>   Won't run with Vesa for some reason.
> >
> > huh. that's weird. what errors?
>
>   Dozens, far too many to show here, but the server does not like Vesa I
> can tell you that!

does this (as root) give a more manageable output:

 egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

it should spew out just the errors and warnings lines (blatantly
stolen from Florian Kuzler's bag of tricks ;)

> >>    I just discovered I can switch it to 1280x960 using xrandr, but it
> >> insists on booting up in 1024x768.
>

>     Further experiments with xrandr. Run to query available modes it
> spit out a list including 1280x1024. Run this way to set that mode:
> xrandr -s 1280x1024 and nothing happens. Run it again to query and that
> mode is missing.
> This sounds like a BUG. Never had these kind of problems before the last
> update.
> >
> > can you post us the xorg log?
> >

>    Much too big to attach (98k!!!) Is there a public server I can UL it to ?

well, you've probably got multiple sessions in there. move the current
one aside, and try again to get a fresh log with just one attempt in
it and then use the egrep above to pare it down.

> > and your xorg.conf

looks hunky dory to me.