Re: Dangers of "stable" in sources.list

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 06:12:48PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 06:06:01PM -0400, Max Hyre wrote:
> >
> >    I'm pointing out that the `stable' distro becomes
> > massively unstable periodically.  Admitted, that period is
> > on the order of multiple years, but it _is_ being shortened.
> > Additionally, the people least likely to be able to handle a
> > badly- or non-working system are the ones most likely to be
> > blind-sided by it.
> >
> Acutally, the stable distro does not become massively unstable.  We have
> things called releases.  It turns out that these releases are announced
> well in advance.  There is lots of list traffic about them.  They even
> make it to the debian-announce list.

this is a side-effect of growing adoption of linux. People who would
not be bothered to harden their windows installation and properly
maintain it are likely to be the same way with their linux
installation. The result is that people may very likely learn just
enough to be dangerous to themselves through things like an ill-timed
dist-upgrade.

By no means does that absolve them of their responsibility to deal
with the mess they may make by not properly researching what they
do.

I am not accusing anyone here of this behavior, btw.