Re: Dangers of "stable" in sources.list

Max Hyre <max@hyre.net> writes:

>    I'm pointing out that the `stable' distro becomes
> massively unstable periodically.  Admitted, that period is
> on the order of multiple years, but it _is_ being shortened.
> Additionally, the people least likely to be able to handle a
> badly- or non-working system are the ones most likely to be
> blind-sided by it.
>
> John L Fjellstad wrote:
>> If you remove 'stable', then you kind of have to remove
>> 'testing' too.
>
>    I don't think that follows.  If someone, even a newbie,
> signs up for `testing', they've got to know there's going to
> be a bumpy ride.

Just after a distro goes stable, testing will get an influx of packages
that might break the system.  And the way it's set up, it might take
some time for the fixes to come down from unstable.  testing is pretty
calm after a freeze, and since freezes are pretty long in Debian, some
newbies might not realize this if they started with testing during the
frozen period.

And the people most likely to to not being able to handle a non-working
system is probably not updateing willy-nilly anyways.

--
John L. Fjellstad