Re: Dangers of "stable" in sources.list

"Martin Marcher" <martin.marcher@gmail.com> writes:

> Do you generally use stable in your sources.list or do you actually
> use sarge/etch/whatever.

I usually use the code names, mostly because lately when I have
installed a new system, the testing distro had gotten far enought hat I
feel comfortable running it.  Also, the stable has gotten so stale, I
can't run it.

That said, I try to keep servers that was installed long ago, on
stable instead of codenames.  By the time a new distro is ready, given
Debian looong cycle, I'm not receiving much of updates of any kind
anymore.  That means when the new distro goes stable, it's never much of
a surprise.  Then again, I don't feel like running "aptitude update &&
aptitude dist-upgrade" every day, especially on my servers.

--
John L. Fjellstad