Re: Please help - printing gone after upgrade to Etch - Solved

Title: Re: Please help - printing gone after upgrade to Etch - Solved

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 10:34:51AM +0800, Uwe Heinz Rudi Dippel wrote:
>> After upgrading to Etch, now printing (DeskJet 840C) is gone.
>> Reason:
>> % ls -l /dev/lp*
>> ls: /dev/lp*: No such file or directory
>> There is no more device created by udev. I have turned off and on, but to no avail.
>> Yes, the printer is found (dmesg):
>> parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
>> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]
>> parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 840C

The maintainer of udev helped me out. It was a little
modprobe lp
that was needed.

My own 2 sen: I was used to do such things 5, 10 years ago.
Something like this ought not be necessary; not when Sarge was working and had it, not when udev and lpr are installed. I had hoped that in 2007, with Etch, necessary modules would load on their own.

Thanks to everyone who helped out !

Uwe