Re: replacing /usr with a new mountpoint

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 11:54:10AM +0200, Martin Marcher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/3/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> >Somewhere in the debian documentation is a warning that after going to
> >single-user mode a return to multi-user is not guaranteed to work.
>
> too bad i'm trying to do all of that without actually rebooting (more
> a matter of "because it should be possible" not a requirement)
>
> >Reboot into single user (with the -s option if there isn't a grub menu
> >item already) so that you know noting under /usr is being used, mv /usr
> >to /oldusr, fix fstab so that the new usr mounts on /usr, then shutdown
> >-r.  Of course be careful not to use any binaries that reside under
> >/usr.  Stick wit straight bash and other stuff under /bin.  Use the full
> >path to make sure.
>
> all of this is done and the system already works with the new /usr
> mountpoint I'd just like to regain the space without rebooting - to be
> honest this is the whole point of this exercise.

I've done it before without rebooting, but it was a couple years ago,
so don't remember how it went. If you are already working with the new
/usr, then maybe lsof | grep oldusr would clue you in to whether
you're using anything there. if not, then I say go for it. caveat
emptor.