Re: replacing /usr with a new mountpoint

Hi,

On 5/3/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
Somewhere in the debian documentation is a warning that after going to
single-user mode a return to multi-user is not guaranteed to work.

too bad i'm trying to do all of that without actually rebooting (more
a matter of "because it should be possible" not a requirement)

Reboot into single user (with the -s option if there isn't a grub menu
item already) so that you know noting under /usr is being used, mv /usr
to /oldusr, fix fstab so that the new usr mounts on /usr, then shutdown
-r.  Of course be careful not to use any binaries that reside under
/usr.  Stick wit straight bash and other stuff under /bin.  Use the full
path to make sure.

all of this is done and the system already works with the new /usr
mountpoint I'd just like to regain the space without rebooting - to be
honest this is the whole point of this exercise.

Of course, you can do all this under a live CD.  I've only recently
acquired a computer that can even run a live CD so I never feel the
need.

Interesting point of view, running all from a live cd and don't
actually install an OS if i understand you correctly.

And of course ensure that you have good backups before you start.

naahh, backups are for wimps :)

--
Martin Marcher
martin.marcher@gmail.com