Rebuilding debian packages

Hello, apparently the wxWidget packages from Debian are compiled only for work with Unicode versions, I really don't agree with this because I have a lot of code wrote that doesn't work with Unicode. Second, this package is also configured with the wxUSE_ODBC variable set to 1 and I must this variable equal to 0 in order to use the wxDb classes family.

So I believe that I need to build my own Debian package, so please can you give me some tips in order to "how modify" the wxwidgets2.6 source packages from http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/w/wxwidgets2.6/wxwidgets2.6_2.6.3.2.1.5.tar.gz for my requirements and rebuild a Debian package?

 Thank you,
       Gustavo