Re: How to determine which filesystems are available

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:13:47 +0530 Kushal Kumaran wrote:
> On 4/28/07, Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:

> > > Try /proc/filesystems.  See the manpage for proc(5).  For more
> > > info on the running kernel, take a look at /proc/config.gz
> >
> > Here's the contents of /proc/filesystems (Etch).
> > Odd enough, HFS is not listed, despite the fact that it appears to
> > be functioning. ???
> >
> > $ cat /proc/filesystems
> > <snip contents not containing hfs>
>
> It appears to show only those filesystems that are supported by loaded
> modules or that are built into the kernel.  You can look into the
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs/ directory to see what filesystem
> modules are available.

Very interesting.
It appears that the recognition of HFS volumes, as I described it, is
a feature of Gnome only. In KDE it bumps into errors and in window
managers it does not work at all.
So I prefer to forget about Gnome and do it the way you mention here:

    modprobe hfs

Then I can mount the HFS formatted USB stick the usual way:

    mkdir /media/whatever
    mount /dev/sda2 /media/whatever

Now it works everywhere without errors.
Thanks a lot!