Re: [OT] Favoured Firewall

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 07:33:31AM -0400, Andrew J. Barr wrote:

> Michael Pobega wrote:
> >> Well, is it? Mine's IPCop, though.
> >>

> > iptables here. It's a little bit tough to set up, but in the end it's
> >  worth it in my opinion. Once you get used to the way iptables works
> > you can build a firewall for any system.
>
> IPtables is *the* Linux firewall. Most of the other things people are
> discussing here are higher-level tools designed to configure the
> kernel-level IPtables stuff.

Okay, I guess I didn't make that clear.

I mean "plain old vanilla iptables". I prefer to learn the inner
workings of the program rather than use an interface to try to figure
things out.

And from what I've seen from some graphical firewalls, there are some
precise things that you just can't set up without the use of the
iptables command. But I guess that's the only REAL advantage using
iptables without an interface has.

--
http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Website
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative