Re: edit the subject line of a thread?

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 03:21:39PM -0400, P Kapat wrote:
> OK, this is just a small nitpicking, to which even I am guilty of in
> the past, but I wanted to know the right mailing etiquettes. The
> agenda is:
>
> When replying to a mail/thread it is best not to modify the Subject
> line, like adding "(solved)" or something similar. Because that breaks
> the thread, which possibly is unintended and unwanted. In such cases,
> it is better to add "SOLVED" (or sometihng to that extent) in the
> begining of the mail body.
>
> Now I have seen this thread breaking in Gmail and Kmail, I am not sure
> of other frontends, like those who read the list from a news reader
> Knode (using gmane's servers).
> I am sure people might agree/disagree but I think it is worthwhile to
> argue. Let your opinions flow....

Threading is done by headers as far as I know, so changing the subject
line shouldn't do anything. I'd suggest that you try to find another
MUA if yours isn't capable of doing proper threading.

Although, as far as I know KMail is quite capable of handling threading
by headers.

--
http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Website
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative