Re: Dates and times in Icedove

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 19:08:35 +0200, Joe Hart wrote:

> John Hasler wrote:
> > Ken writes:
> >> Is there a way to set date and formats user-wide, even system-wide?
> >
> > man locale
>
> locale doesn't seem to have an effect for Icedove.  My system date today
> is 25/04/2007, but Icedove shows it as 4/25/2007, which tells me that
> because I use a US English version of IceDove, it uses it's own settings.

[...]

Does it make a difference if you start icedove by clicking on an icon or
from a terminal? If you define your LANG and LC_* in bashrc then these
settings are not necessarily used for things that don't involve bash.

I use LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8 and icedove displays the
dates nicely in British style ("24/04/07 19:37").

You can also switch every time you call icedove, e.g.

$ LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 icedove

results in "04/24/2007 07:37 PM"

or

$ LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8 icedove