Re: Etch with encrypted lvm, remapping of sata hd names, problem

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 19:54:09 +0200, Thomas Anderson wrote:
>
> [ Earlier attributions were missing, therefore I am not entirely sure
>   who said what already. ]

It's been me and Jay Flory talking so far.

> [...]
>
>> My bad. I meant to write root=/dev/sdb1 in my previous mail but
>> accidentally wrote root=/dev/hdb1. When I tried to change grubs
>> menu.lst-file, I wrote root=/dev/sdb1, though. I even tried it once
>> again after you corrected me. But it still would not work. It still wrote:
>>
>> "Setting up cryptographic volume sda5_crypt (based on /dev/sda5)"
>> before the "Enter LUKS passphrase" line.
>>
>> Thanks for trying to help me though. I guess it would have worked if I
>> had not had an encrypted base file system.
>
> If I understand your situation correctly then you need indeed to rebuild
> your intird so that it uses the correct root partition. (It may be
> possible to simply edit the existing initrd to reflect the change, but I
> would not know how to do that. You should keep a backup of the current
> initrd in any case.)
>
> How do you access your system at the moment? Can you boot from a rescue
> CD and mount the encrypted root partition?

At the moment I remove my other sata hd and then boot my computer with
only the Etch sata hd in.
Before I edit the initrd file I have to find out exactly what in it I
should change to reflect the change. If I find a solution I'll post it here.

- --
Regards,

Thomas Anderson
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur"

OpenPGP fingerprint: ED7E 1E98 225A 3FCC 458C B3D7 D625 20E6 F316 BD21
OpenPGP public key: http://todu.dyndns.org/pubkey.txt