Re: Etch with encrypted lvm, remapping of sata hd names, problem

"Thomas Anderson" <andersonthomas@gmail.com> wrote in message
[🔎] ac916430704190449o5e8fab8aj66316dc4e40bd4b8@mail.gmail.com">news:[🔎] ac916430704190449o5e8fab8aj66316dc4e40bd4b8@mail.gmail.com...
>I tried to replace this:
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-k7 root=/dev/mapper/tommy--d4-root ro
> initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.18-4-k7
> savedefault
>
> with this:
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-k7
> root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/some-letters-in-hexa-decimal ro
> initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.18-4-k7
> savedefault
>
> That didn't work. So I tried:
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-k7 root=/dev/hdb1 ro
> initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.18-4-k7
> savedefault
>
> That didn't work. So I tried:
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-k7 root=/dev/hdb5 ro
> initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.18-4-k7
> savedefault
>
> That didn't work either.
>
> In all the above cases I got this line:
>
> "Setting up cryptographic volume sda5_crypt (based on /dev/sda5)"
> before the "Enter LUKS passphrase" line. So even if I changed grubs
> menu.lst according to above, the computer still tries to decrypt my
> root filesystem from sda instead of from sdb. I guess the initrd file
> that comes with Etch needs editing, correct? But what to edit and how?
> I've never changed any initrd file before.
>
> On 4/16/07, Jay Flory <jflory@aeiconsultants.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Thomas Anderson" <andersonthomas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> [🔎] 46222DB0.9050904@gmail.com">news:[🔎] 46222DB0.9050904@gmail.com...
>> >

>> Thomas,
>>
>> I too have had the same problems while attempting to install Etch on sata
>> drives.  The system can change the drive names when you remove/add a
>> drive.
>> To solve this problem you have three options.
>>
>> 1.  You can change the menu.lst file int /boot/grub
>>
>> To do this you will of course need to boot up and get into your file
>> filesystem.  Edit the menu.lst file and look for:
>>
>>   kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro
>>
>> or equivalent in your file.  Change the /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb1
>>
>> 2.  Take advantage of the udevs more permanent names in the
>> /dev/disk/by-uuid directory and use the names found there instead of
>> /dev/sdb1.
>>
>> You still need to edit the menu.lst file. However, by taking advantage of
>> udev you can remove any possibility for problems should you change your
>> system by adding/removing a drive.  Run the command:
>>
>>   ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
>>
>> to get a list of which name you will need to use in the kernel line.
>> Look
>> for the entry that links to sdb1.
>>
>> 3.  Again taking advantage of udev you may rename your devices.

> [...]

Thomas,

In your origianly post you specified that your drive was being listed as
sdb1 not hdb1.  If you tried to change the kernel line to root=/dev/hdb1 it
would not have found hdb1.

The last part of your post seems to have to do with your file system being
encrypted.  I don't know how to handle that as I have never encrypted the
base file system before.  Sorry, can't help you there.

Thanks
Jay