Re: Etch with encrypted lvm, remapping of sata hd names, problem

"Thomas Anderson" <andersonthomas@gmail.com> wrote in message
[🔎] 46222DB0.9050904@gmail.com">news:[🔎] 46222DB0.9050904@gmail.com...

Thomas,

I too have had the same problems while attempting to install Etch on sata
drives.  The system can change the drive names when you remove/add a drive.
To solve this problem you have three options.

1.  You can change the menu.lst file int /boot/grub

To do this you will of course need to boot up and get into your file
filesystem.  Edit the menu.lst file and look for:

  kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro

or equivalent in your file.  Change the /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb1

2.  Take advantage of the udevs more permanent names in the
/dev/disk/by-uuid directory and use the names found there instead of
/dev/sdb1.

You still need to edit the menu.lst file. However, by taking advantage of
udev you can remove any possibility for problems should you change your
system by adding/removing a drive.  Run the command:

  ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

to get a list of which name you will need to use in the kernel line.  Look
for the entry that links to sdb1.

3.  Again taking advantage of udev you may rename your devices.

This is more complex and I don't have enough experience doing it.  I do
understand however, that it is possible.  Perhaps someone else in the list
can offer advice on how to do this.

Finally, it is possible to interrupt the grub bootloader and specify which
drive to boot from at a grub command line.  I did this when originally
installing etch on my system.  Unfortunately I don't remember the exact
commands so you'll have to google it to find out.

Thanks
Jay