Re: Etch with encrypted lvm, remapping of sata hd names, problem

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 19:54:09 +0200, Thomas Anderson wrote:

[ Earlier attributions were missing, therefore I am not entirely sure
  who said what already. ]

> >> In all the above cases I got this line:
> >>
> >> "Setting up cryptographic volume sda5_crypt (based on /dev/sda5)"
> >> before the "Enter LUKS passphrase" line. So even if I changed grubs
> >> menu.lst according to above, the computer still tries to decrypt my
> >> root filesystem from sda instead of from sdb. I guess the initrd file
> >> that comes with Etch needs editing, correct? But what to edit and how?
> >> I've never changed any initrd file before.

[...]

> My bad. I meant to write root=/dev/sdb1 in my previous mail but
> accidentally wrote root=/dev/hdb1. When I tried to change grubs
> menu.lst-file, I wrote root=/dev/sdb1, though. I even tried it once
> again after you corrected me. But it still would not work. It still wrote:
>
> "Setting up cryptographic volume sda5_crypt (based on /dev/sda5)"
> before the "Enter LUKS passphrase" line.
>
> Thanks for trying to help me though. I guess it would have worked if I
> had not had an encrypted base file system.

If I understand your situation correctly then you need indeed to rebuild
your intird so that it uses the correct root partition. (It may be
possible to simply edit the existing initrd to reflect the change, but I
would not know how to do that. You should keep a backup of the current
initrd in any case.)

How do you access your system at the moment? Can you boot from a rescue
CD and mount the encrypted root partition?

          Florian   |