Re: Linux/Debian documentation suggestion

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 08:25:34PM +0200, Glenn Moeller-Holst wrote:
> *If I deinstall "this" package - which commands are then lost?

> *If I want or need command xxzz, which packages can give me that?

apt-file is a system that creates a database of all files installed by
all packages in the debian repository irrespective of their install
status on your system.  If you want command foo you can apt-file foo and
it will tell you which packages include a file foo.  If you want to
limit it to /bin/foo then you apt-file /bin/foo.

Doug.