Re: Linux/Debian documentation suggestion

Glenn Moeller-Holst wrote:

Hi Glenn,
please don't cross post.

> This Linux/Debian documentation suggestion, regards Linux and
> applications commands.
>
> It is proposed that the kernel and applications packets (.deb, .rpm)
> includes (or has the possibilty to include) documentation about the
> package commands. Maybe in many languages like Mac OS X. Mac OS X has
> each language text in each data-fork.

There are no rpm's in debian.

Almost all debian packages have man pages. They do exist in different
languages. If you miss something follow the advice in
'man 7 undocumented'

> Purposes:
> *When "I" is in the catalog "/var/log" - what commands can I use here?

/var/log is not a catalog. It is the location of log files.

You may use any command in any directory.

> *Which commands is occluded by others at "/var/log"?

??????

> *If I deinstall "this" package - which commands are then lost?

Try
$ dpkg -L <packagename> |grep bin/
That might not be exhaustive, but it should give you a hint.

> *A command "xxy" at "/var/log" - which package is responsible? (Am I
> using the right package command?)

???????

> The "man" and "info" documentation should (with time) be included in the
> package. Why should I search the net for command documentations? The
> system should supply the right documentation.

It is. If you spot something that is missing please consider filing a
bug report.

It is a typical mistakes of people new to debian to *first* search the
net for documentation. Most information is on your system already or can
be installed with little effort. I use the net as last resort, for
special cases, but most information I need is part of my debian
installation. (see below)

> Have this feature-idea not occured to others?

Yes, there is provision for all your suggestions in debian. If something
is missing it is either by accident or noone was kind enough to spend
some time to get it done.

> A script file should document which "commands-pools" is required. Before
> execution of a script, the system should check these requirement.

What do you mean by "commands-pools"? If you are talking about
dependencies for other programs, this was about the first thing ever to
be implemented in debian IIRC.

You are aware that each package in debian has its documentation in
/usr/share/doc/<packagename> ?
(Some have large docs in /usr/share/doc/<packagename>-doc to be
installed seperately)?

Other packages that you might find interesting include
debian-reference-en
doc-linux-html (about 68 MB of html-pages)
or doc-linux-txt (about 9.7 MB of ascii text to read! :-)

HTH, Johannes