octave and octave-forge

Hi, I am trying to use octave2.9 in unstable (version 2.9.10 atm) but
each time I try to call a function from octave-forge I get something
like "error: dmlread' undefined near line 2 column 1", none of the
octave variables like DEFAULT_LOADPATH or LOADPATH are set, at least I
get an empty respons by issuing getenv(DEFAULT_LOADPATH) and if I try
to set LOADPATH by issuing

putenv("LOADPATH", "/usr/share/octave/site/api-v22/m/octave2.9-forge//")

I still get the same respons if I call dmlread for instance (and the
file is in that dir structure under io).

Any ideas

Best regards

Oli