Re: aptitude "check" command?

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 08:53 -0500, Default User wrote:
> Hello.
>
> For Etch, I am using aptitude, rather than apt-get.  These seem to be
> the equivalent commands:
>
> apt-get clean         =  aptitude clean
> apt-get autoclean     =  aptitude autoclean
> apt-get update        =  aptitude update
> apt-get upgrade       =  aptitude upgrade
> apt-get dist-upgrade  =  aptitude dist-upgrade
>
> So what is the aptitude equivalent of apt-get "check"?
>
> (And an extra cookie for your browser if you can explain when to use
> clean and when to use autoclean . . . )

clean vs. autoclean

clean == remove all cached files, including ones that may be ready for
install. This basically remove all *.deb files in:
        /var/cache/apt/archives

autoclean == removes all but the "installed or most recent candidate to
be installed". IOW if you happen to have 83 versions of the "zsh"
package in /var/cache/apt/archives/ it reduces it to either the one
installed if it is the most recent, or the most recent candidate to
install. This is used as a "house-cleaning" operation.

"aptitude check" is a non-op. Aptitude does this automagically in
interactive mode. Aptitude forces (user selected) resolutions it can
come up with or elect to quit, when using it in cli form.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup