Re: dnsmasq in debian

Gunnar Björkdahl wrote:
My intention was to use it as both DNS and DHCP-server. But I have started with only DNS. My /etc/resolv.conf had the IP of my other DNS-server, and a search domain. I put the values in some directory in /etc/resolvconf/..../base

I was unable to ping the outside world using anything else than IP-adresses. I was able to ping my local workstations (about 15-20 machines). The workstations were configured in /etc/hosts.

Since my intention is to replace the old DNS-server which uses BIND, and have a new shiny DNS, i figured out that I probably must continue to use BIND since dnsmasq is only a caching DNS. Right?

So, am I stuck with BIND then?

Indeed not.

There are *other* alternatives out there for your solution. MyDNS is an mysql driven dns server. MyDNS does not include recursive name service, nor a resolver library.

Below are the link to the main MyDNS website, and one link to a great howto on howtoforge, which should give you enough information to base your opinion on.

http://mydns.bboy.net/
http://www.howtoforge.org/mydns_name_server

Regards,

Julian