Re: cupsys : forbidden [SOLVED]

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 15:01:11 -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
I'm getting into a real jam.
When I did the whole upgrade thing, cupsys disappeared from view and uninstalled. I couldn't install it because it wasn't found using apt-get/dselect/aptitude after several apt-get update cycles. So I downloaded the package from the debian website (stable) and installed it.

No this is all I get.

It's worked for three years prior to this without any failure or issues.
Now I can't do a thing.
Starting to look like a purge and reinstall is my only option because the configuration files don't look anything alike in format or form. new one has no notes on the settings.

Did you replace the old CUPS configuration files with the maintainer's
new versions when you upgraded? I think this is strongly recommended
because of the changes in format.

I ended up doing this last night and made effectively zero progress.
I'm still getting 403 errors on the webpages.

I did notice a drop in notes in the config files. Last version was rather verbose and provided me with enough information to get something working in short order. This version isn't the same.

Rather than posting everything under the sun, I've posted the top of the config file as a reference. At the moment, I can't even telnet into port 631 without an immediate "Connection Refused".

I am able configure and print CUPS test pages for all of my printers from localhost:631 using the cups web pages. But I can't access from the subnet.

The solution was to change the settings under <location />
to include 'Allow 192.168.1.*'

# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
# troubleshooting...
LogLevel debug

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup lpadmin

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
#Listen localhost:631
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>

In any case, you need to fix your /etc/apt/sources.list.
Fixed this eventually.