Re: dnsmasq in debian

My intention was to use it as both DNS and DHCP-server. But I have started with only DNS. My /etc/resolv.conf had the IP of my other DNS-server, and a search domain. I put the values in some directory in /etc/resolvconf/..../base

I was unable to ping the outside world using anything else than IP-adresses. I was able to ping my local workstations (about 15-20 machines). The workstations were configured in /etc/hosts.

Since my intention is to replace the old DNS-server which uses BIND, and have a new shiny DNS, i figured out that I probably must continue to use BIND since dnsmasq is only a caching DNS. Right?

So, am I stuck with BIND then?

2007/4/15, Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:27:48 -0500
"Andrew Bassett" <awbassett@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/15/07, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de > wrote:
> >
> > Gunnar Björkdahl:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to setup dnsmasq on my LAN. I configured the adresses in
> > > /etc/hosts and I can ping them fine. But I am unable to ping the outside
> > > world. What have I done wrong or missed?
> >
> > There is no way to know. You didn't tell us what you wanted to use
> > dnsmasq for (DNS, DHCP?), how you configured it and what error message
> > you got.
> >
> > J.
> > --
>

> Could you post the ouput of cat /etc/resolv.conf?
>
> Also, how did you configure your LAN? Did you set up a box to act as a
> router with 2 NICs?

Also, can you ping the outside world from the server (the one running dnsmasq)?