dpkg: I refuse to do it and you can't make me!

I can't make it, either.

I'm trying to upgrade my testing installation.  I get this:

(Reading database ... 124364 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing navigator-smotif-477 ...
update-alternatives: internal error: /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/navigator
corrupt: priority /usr/lib/netscape/477x/navigator/navigator-smotif 477x0
update-alternatives: internal error: /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/netscape
corrupt: priority /usr/lib/netscape/477x/navigator/navigator-smotif 477x0
dpkg: error processing navigator-smotif-477 (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
 navigator-smotif-477

That's a fine example of useless messages.  How is anyone supposed to know
what to do about that?  The alternatives file for Netscape 4.77 is corrupt,
which means that it can't be removed...how do I fix that?  Why can't the
stupid message tell me?  Why can't multiple web searches tell me?

It turns out that deleting the file /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/netscape
fixes this problem -- but why should I have to figure that out?  The average
user, especially a new user, will react by freezing up.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!