Re: dpkg: I refuse to do it and you can't make me!

On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 22:56 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> I can't make it, either.
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my testing installation.  I get this:
>
> (Reading database ... 124364 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing navigator-smotif-477 ...
> update-alternatives: internal error: /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/navigator
> corrupt: priority /usr/lib/netscape/477x/navigator/navigator-smotif 477x0
> update-alternatives: internal error: /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/netscape
> corrupt: priority /usr/lib/netscape/477x/navigator/navigator-smotif 477x0
> dpkg: error processing navigator-smotif-477 (--remove):
>  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
>  navigator-smotif-477
>

> That's a fine example of useless messages.  How is anyone supposed to know
> what to do about that?  The alternatives file for Netscape 4.77 is corrupt,
> which means that it can't be removed...how do I fix that?  Why can't the
> stupid message tell me?  Why can't multiple web searches tell me?
>
> It turns out that deleting the file /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/netscape
> fixes this problem -- but why should I have to figure that out?  The average
> user, especially a new user, will react by freezing up.

How many newbies would be running Netscape 4.77... a (what>) 7 year old
release, on a something that won't even support the non-posix threading
application due to a glibc upgrade coming about?

I'd be willing to be unless the netscape it statically compiled, that it
dunnah even run right on Lenny now that glibc is migrating to 2.5
something... or maybe the "corrupt" alternatives wasn't statically
linked and relied on linux-threads rather than posix-threads...

Coincidentally, did you know that Anything libc 2.4 or newer dropped
linux-thread support?
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup