Re: dpkg: I refuse to do it and you can't make me!

On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 22:56 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> update-alternatives: internal error: /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/navigator
> corrupt: priority /usr/lib/netscape/477x/navigator/navigator-smotif 477x0
> update-alternatives: internal error: /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/netscape
> corrupt: priority /usr/lib/netscape/477x/navigator/navigator-smotif 477x0
> dpkg: error processing navigator-smotif-477 (--remove):
>  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
>  navigator-smotif-477
>

> That's a fine example of useless messages.  How is anyone supposed to know

It tells you there is a problem updating the alternative as opposed to
some cryptic code you that you have to dig around for just to find out
what the code means. What else do you want from an error message?

> It turns out that deleting the file /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/netscape
> fixes this problem -- but why should I have to figure that out?  The average
> user, especially a new user, will react by freezing up.

A little late to try now, but.....

The dpkg man page show there being a force-help option and 'dpkg
--force-help' shows there being an overwrite-diverted option, which
might lead one to think using the command 'dpkg -i
--force-overwrite-diverted [some packages]' has some potential to
correct the problem.

Later, Seeker