Re: word list for document index

* Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer@icfo.es> [070414 02:46]:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 15:20:39 -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>
> [ ...transition from tetex to texlive; so far so good, but... ]
>
> > (4) Now when I try to run LaTeX on a document, there is an error message:
> >
> >     This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.5-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> >     ---! /home/rlh/.texmf-var/web2c/latex.fmt doesn't match pdfetex.pool
> >     (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
> >
> > But I installed TeXLive without difficulty on another i386 system on
> > which it runs without error on the same document.
>
> My first guess would be that you have some old files in your
> ~/.texmf-var directory which are not upwards compatible. Try to move
> this directory out of the way and run latex again; I assume the proper
> files will be created automatically then. You could first check if a
> "fresh" user has the same problem when running latex.

Florian,

You are right.  The other i386 system was a fresh installation of
Etch; teTeX never had been installed.

After searching with Google, I decided that the most likely cause of
trouble was my failure to purge all the teTeX configuration files
before installing TeXLive.

So I backed up my mail files and other essentials and devoted a full
day to reinstalling Debian, using netinst.  I encountered an error
after the tasksel step of the installer, so I installed only a minimal
system.  Otherwise, the installation went very smoothly.

As soon as I rebooted, I executed "aptitude dist-upgrade", which gave
me "lenny", and then I executed tasksel to install a desktop system.
Again the installation went very smoothly.

I now am tying up loose ends, and everything -- including LaTeX and
mail -- appears to be working properly.  This re-installation gave me
opportunity to update my written installation procedure which records
all the little details of configuration which need to be done, and all
the obscure packages which need to be installed.  This written
procedure saves much time and grief whenever I must make a new installation.

Regards,

RLH